Bob Leasure of Alma, was nominated for his dedication to the Hunter Safety Program and the promotion of safety, ethics and passing on his knowledge to youths that he comes in contact with. Bob works with other instructors from other areas in neighboring counties and runs the class in Tyler county as team leader, and helps teach in Wetzel county, and has taught in Doddridge and Pleasants counties, and also assists with teaching classes in Monroe County Ohio. Bob is a WVHEA life member and IHEA member; and currently serving on the WVHEA board of directors, as District VI representative and serves on various committees. He has helped with fundraising for the WVHE Appreciation Day for several years. Bob has been teaching for over (20) years in West Virginia and in Ohio for (10) years; and was a District VI Volunteer Instructor of the year. Bob tries to recruit new instructors to help teach classes and add to his team. Bob really enjoys introducing young/new hunters to the outdoors, hunting, trapping and fishing. He is dedicated to preserving the Hunting Heritage; this is shown from his involvement with the National Wild Turkey Federation:
• Serving as chapter president of the Middle Island Longbeards for over 20 years. Leading the chapter to earning, WV Governor’s “DNR Sports Organization of the Year”, several Golden Gobbler Achievements, and was WV’s 1st 5-Star Chapter running for seven years.
· NWTF Silver Life Sponsor member
• Local J.A.K.E.S. event coordinator leading the Middle Island Longbeards to win WV’s 1st National award. Including Six, (6) national awards for J.A.K.E.S. events in different categories, including “Best of the Best Award”, earning them to be inducted into the NWTF’s “Outreach Hall of Fame.”
• District Director for West Virginia, covering Hunting Heritage Banquets.
• West Virginia State Volunteer J.A.K.E.S. coordinator, 15 years.
• WV Wheelin’ Sportsman/NWTF event co-coordinator, (2 events +1 hunt).
• West Virginia’s 1st Women In The Outdoors (W.I.T.O.) Event Coordinator.
• Coordinator of the chapter’s three youth squirrel hunts and one youth deer hunt.
• Coordinator of several NWTF Sanctioned Calling Contests and J.A.K.E.S. Turkey shoots.
• Judge for (3) Cabela’s Calling contests, and Master of Ceremonies, (1)
• Local Banquet Chairman for over 18 years; earning Chairman’s Award
• Was recognized by WV state chapter for; “Breast Feather Award” – Volunteer of the Year, “Boss Bird Award” – Chapter President of the Year, “James C. Pack Award” – Director of the Year, Nominated by the WV state chapter for, Governor’s “Sports Person of the Year”
• Signed -up over 4000 J.A.K.E.S./XTREME J.A.K.E.S. members. Leading his chapter to be 1st - most years in J.A.K.E.S. sign-ups.
• Worked with school clubs and after-school day plus programs giving seminars on outdoor safety and taught Hooked On Fishing/Not On Drugs
• Was Certified 4-H Shooting Sports Shotgun Instructor
• Also helped, Cub Scout Camps – Air Rifle/BB Gun Safety, Girl Scouts, FFA and 4-H
• Taught Hunter Ed classes for 4-H Camp
. IHEA member
. Trout Unlimited member
• NRA Member
• Member West Virginia Wildlife Federation
• Duck’s Unlimited member
• Took over 52 new hunters to kill their first deer, twenty to kill their first turkeys and over 100 kids to catch their first fish.